Monday, June 18, 2007

Top 15 Songs That Make Me Lose My Shit

At some point while doing an insane freakout dance to Jackie Wilson's "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher," I got the idea to compile a list of songs that 'make me lose my shit.' In this particular case, the freakout dance in question was done alone in an elevator at work. That is what I mean by losing my shit. For years on the five-hour drive from School in Gainesville to Home in Coral Springs, FL, I would always wind up shoulder-dancing, totally unaware of my speed, shouting at the top of my lungs with the stereo pumping so loud I could hear the speakers crackle. I could have gotten in an accident and I would not have cared at all. That is what I mean by losing my shit. I'm not suprised by how much Motown is on this list, but I am suprised by how much of the list is what you would consider 'oldies'. Born in the wronge age, eh?

1. "Heatwave" by Martha and the Vandellas
2. "Be My Baby" by the Ronnettes
3. "Naive Melody" by the Talking Heads
4. "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher" by Jackie Wilson
5. "God Only Knows" by the Beach Boys
6. "Bernadette" by the Four Tops
7. "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" by the Temptations
8. "Complete Control" and 9. "Train In Vain" by the Clash
10. "Someone has His Fingers Broken" by Black Eyes (actually, most their first self-titled album)
11. "El Scorcho" and 12. "Only in Dreams" by Weezer
13. "The City" by the Dismemberment Plan
14. "Promises" by Fugazi
15. "Instant karma" by John Lennon

honorable mention to gang of four, early beatles, q and not u and chuck berry.

3 comments:

editor said...

higher and higher reminds me of ghostbusters. you and the statue of liberty have something in common.

exadore said...

you totally just soiled my memories ... and my pants.

lets see your top 15 songs that make you lose your shit list. Half of them are Of Montreal.

editor said...

hm. need to time to compile something like that.